Rod Save The Queen

Rod Save The Queen

Postby mike walton » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:31 am

Press release from SMILER rodstewartfanclub.com
Following the announcement that the Sex Pistols 1977 single ‘God Save The Queen’ would be the subject of a campaign to propel the controversial song to Number One, Rod Stewart fans say they are more than ready for a re-match.

‘God Save The Queen’ was denied the top spot by Rod’s double A-sided classic ‘I Don’t Want To Talk About It’ / ‘First Cut Is The Deepest’. Ever since, conspiracy theories have circulated suggesting the official charts had been fixed to avoid offending the Queen during her Silver Jubilee celebrations.

However, there has never been any concrete proof that the official charts were tampered with. Although the Sex Pistols single reached Number One in both the New Musical Express and Melody Maker charts, it made only Number Two in the chart used by the BBC and Top Of The Pops. This anomaly can be easily explained as the result of sales variations in the panel of shops selected to compile the various charts. Indeed, later in the year Rod Stewart scored a second Number One single on the New Musical Express and Melody Maker charts with ‘You’re In My Heart’ which was denied the top spot in the official BBC charts.

35 years on both ‘I Don’t Want Too Talk About It’ and ‘First Cut Is The Deepest’ remain firm favourites when Rod performs live. In response to the Sex Pistols campaign the Rod Stewart Fan Club have set up their own online campaign on Facebook to get ‘First Cut Is The Deepest’ back to the top of the charts again during the celebrations for The Queen’s 60th reigning year in June.

A spokesman for the fan club said “It must have really narked the Punks that Rod of all people held ‘God Save The Queen’ off of Number One. But Rod was there fairly and squarely. As Rod is a big fan of The Queen, we thought he’d love to be Number One again as she celebrates later this year. So when the time is right we shall be urging Rod’s army of fans to download ‘First Cut Is The Deepest’.”
mike walton

Return to Rod Stewart